What is a Dental Implant?
A dental implant is an artificial tooth root that is placed into your jaw to hold a replacement tooth or bridge. Dental implants may be an option for people who have lost a tooth or teeth due to periodontal disease, an injury, or some other reason.
Types of Dental Implants
- Endosteal (in the bone): This is the most commonly used type of implant. The various types include screws, cylinders or blades surgically placed into the jawbone. Each implant holds one or more prosthetic teeth. This type of implant is generally used as an alternative for patients with bridges or removable dentures.
- Subperiosteal (on the bone): These are placed on top of the jaw with the metal framework’s posts protruding through the gum to hold the prosthesis. These types of implants are used for patients who are unable to wear conventional dentures and who have minimal bone height.
Are You a Candidate for Dental Implants?
The ideal candidate for a dental implant is in good general and oral health. Adequate bone in your jaw is needed to support the implant, and the best candidates have healthy gum tissues that are free of periodontal disease. Dental implants are intimately connected with the gum tissues and underlying bone in the mouth.
What Is A Dental Implant Procedure Like?
Your dentist will consult with you to determine where and how your implant should be placed. Depending on your specific condition and the type of implant chosen, your dentist will create a treatment plan tailored to meet your needs.
- Replacing a Single Tooth – If you are missing a single tooth, one implant and a crown can replace it.
- Replacing Several Teeth – If you are missing several teeth, implant-supported bridges can replace them.
- Replacing All of Your Teeth – If you are missing all of your teeth, an implant-supported full bridge or full denture can replace them.
- Sinus Augmentation – A key to implant success is the quantity and quality of the bone where the implant is to be placed. The upper back jaw has traditionally been one of the most difficult areas to successfully place dental implants due to insufficient bone quantity and quality and the close proximity to the sinus. Sinus augmentation can help correct this problem by raising the sinus floor and developing bone for the placement of dental implants.
- Ridge Modification – Deformities in the upper or lower jaw can leave you with inadequate bone in which to place dental implants. To correct the problem, the gum is lifted away from the ridge to expose the bony defect. The defect is then filled with bone or bone substitute to build up the ridge. Ridge modification has been shown to greatly improve appearance and increase your chances for successful implants that can last for years to come.
What Can I Expect After Receiving a Dental Implant?
As you know, your own teeth require conscientious at-home oral care and regular dental visits. Dental implants are like your own teeth and will require the same care. In order to keep your implant clean and plaque-free, brushing and flossing still apply!
After treatment, Smile Care Family dentist will work closely with you to develop the best care plan for you. Periodic follow-up visits will be scheduled to monitor your implant, teeth and gums to make sure they are healthy.
Dr. Parveen Sultana, who specializes in placing implants, now offers this service in the comfort of our office. Dr. Sultana will evaluate each patient to determine if they have enough bone structure to support an implant before implant placement. An individualized treatment plan will be established and clearly discussed with each patient at that time.
Restorative and cosmetic dentistry financing
CareCredit is a payment option that will have you smiling wider and brighter. With the CareCredit healthcare credit card you can use your card to finance cosmetic dental procedures such as:
- Dental implants
- Invisalign teeth straightening
- Six Month Smile
- Ceramic crowns
- Root canals
- Braces or retainers
- Bite plates
- Tooth repair
Our office accepts CareCredit which is affordable and 100% finance.
Interest rates as low as 0%! No Down Payment Required!
For those that qualify with approved credit, Smile Care Family Dental Implant Center offers multiple financing options with interest rates as low as 0%!
- 100% Financing
- No down payment required
- No pre-payment penalties
- Finance from $449 to $40,0000
- Extended payment plans from 24 to 84 months